No industry feels the impact of world events more quickly and acutely than the energy industry. Market volatility for oil, natural gas, electricity, nuclear power, renewable fuel and other energy forms is becoming the norm. Duane Morris & Selvam has the knowledge, depth of experience, bench strength, and both national and international reach to guide our energy clients through the complicated, intersecting grids of the industry. Our clients range from governments and agencies that create the policies, rules and regulations to producers, storage providers and distributors of energy, including refineries, utilities, competitive providers, energy services companies and international operating facilities, to large users of energy, in the form of chemical, oil, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and industrial companies.
To serve such a diverse client base within this challenging environment, Duane Morris & Selvam has assembled a team of lawyers who bring transactional and litigation experience from a wide variety of legal disciplines, including regulatory, corporate, tax, intellectual property, environmental, real estate, project finance, bankruptcy, and labour and employment. At the core of our Energy practice are attorneys who have spent their entire careers working within the industry, holding leadership positions with national energy commissions before joining the firm and focusing their efforts on understanding and anticipating energy policies and laws for our clients.
Our Value Proposition
- An Energy Practice Group consisting of both foreign and international lawyers focused on renewable energy and oil & gas projects, including downstream, upstream and midstream projects, regulatory and licensing matters, foreign investment, land, employment, import/export, joint ventures and contractual arrangements connected with petroleum projects and operations throughout Asia;
- A long track record of advising on energy, regulatory and M&A matters throughout Southeast Asia;
- Deep relationships with all the local relevant ministries and regulators;
- Experience in dealing with substantial complex cross-border matters;
- A team of 30 lawyers in Singapore experienced in M&A and energy matters across the region;
- Additional support from our global network of 29 offices and 800 lawyers, including energy lawyers based in Texas and across the United States; and
- The provision of a seamless service across all of our offices with project management provided out of Singapore.
Our Practice Focus
We pride ourselves on being our clients’ trusted advisers who strive to deliver commercial and practical solutions. Our lawyers possess extensive experience in energy developments, regulation, corporate, project finance, environmental, construction and real estate matters to provide seamless, full-service legal support to clients in the energy sector.
Our objective is to help clients through the prefeasibility study and planning stages, through public tender, licensing, startup and implementation, as well as the operational stages:
- Legal feasibility studies on energy projects
- Securing land and lease agreements
- Public procurement, bidding and public-private partnerships (PPP)
- Licensing of energy projects
- Securing environmental permits as part of an environmental compliance strategy
- Structuring investments to comply with corporate objectives
- Structuring various forms of financing for energy projects, including project finance and private-public partnerships
- Engineering, procurement and construction of energy projects and infrastructure
- Protecting and licensing intellectual property rights
Our Energy Experience:
- Electricity transmission assets
- LNG projects
- Project financings
- Upstream/midstream/downstream projects, EPC, gas sales agreements, gas transmission pipelines, gas storage and processing facilities
- Offshore structures and floating facilities for oil & gas projects
- Power stations and co-generation facilities
- Renewable energy projects including wind farms and solar PV plants, geothermal and biomass projects
- Capital works procurement
- Outsourcing arrangements
For more information, please contact Leon Yee, Krishna Ramachandra, Priyank Srivastava or any of the legal professionals at Duane Morris & Selvam.